Why Eat Gluten-free?
Refined grains have lots of problems with them (1):
1. Dead Foods- refined grains come from the living seed of a living plant. This seed, before processing, contained life in the form of enzymes. But by the time it reaches the refined stage, all enzymes have been destroyed, it has been reduced to a dead food. Our physical bodies were designed to be nourished with living food and not dead food.
2. No fiber- Since our bodies need fiber to move food through the very extensive digestive tract, foods that contain little or no fiber present very real and serious problems.
3. Fragmented- Through heating, mechanical and chemical processing, all vitamins, proteins, fats, and enzymes- indeed, almost every single nutrient is removed until nothing but pure white, pure 'naked calories', pure refined carbohydrate remains. Fragmented foods set up nutritional imbalances that precipitate health problems.
4. Acidic- most grains are acid forming. This means that the body must take vital alkaline minerals, calcium being the most plentiful, from the body to metabolize refined grains. Thus, highly refined carbohydrate use, along with the consumption of animal source foods and refined sugar, which is also a refined carbohydrate, causes the body to take so much calcium from our bodies that the bones become osteoporotic.
5. Excessively starchy- Refined grains are one of the starchiest foods consumed by humans and present and overwhelmingly difficult task for the digestive system. Refined grains also cause mucus formation. Since 1965, scientists have repeatedly linked high gluten consumption coming from wheat, oats, rye, and barley to learning disorders and schizophrenia. Other physical problems linked to high gluten consumption include: asthma, allergies, gluten intolerance, digestive disturbances, yeast infections, various mucus and congestive conditions, several types of arthritis, and even chronic overeating. (Source: "Grain Damage" by Douglas Graham, D.C) The number of people struggling with Candida may also be linked to the excessive use of these grains, as well as the inability to lose weight.
6. Create blood sugar disorders- When refined grains are eaten, a high percentage of the starch is very quickly broken down into simple sugars that hit the blood stream almost as rapidly as refined sugar. Dealing with all of this sugar exhausts the pancreas and/or adrenals and produces the same diabetic/hypoglycemic reactions as refined sugar causes.
7. Promote emotional instability- Studies have revealed a strong link between juvenile and adult criminal offenses, not only to refined sugar, but also to refined grains. Similar research reveals a link between mental illness and sugar abuse. And hypoglycemic reactions, for the very sensitive consumer, promote extreme irrationality, emotional instability, and oftentimes aggressiveness. Depression is also one of the most rapidly growing problems in our society today, and refined sugar, along with refined grains, are two of the major contributing factors.
8. Lead to addition and weight gain- Whenever a food is fragmented, it is nutrient-deficient and always results in lower levels of nutrition and health. They do not provide satisfaction at a cellular level, so the body continues to be hungry and to seek adequate nutrients to satisfy its nutritional needs. This leads to overeating. Sadly, this has produced a nation of overfed, undernourished, predominantly overweight people.
9. Compromise immune system- refined grains convert very rapidly to sugar along with, refined sugar itself, to suppress the immune system. Doesn't that give us a clue as to why so many people experience infections, colds, the flu, and other flu-like symptoms?
10. Cause other physical problems- refined grains are associated with malnutrition and decreased resistance to disease. They impact the quality of life as they increase the severity of PMS, contribute to heart disease, acne, binge eating, bloating, depression, difficulty concentrating, food cravings, fatigue, hormonal problems, mood swings, psoriasis and more.