Banana Honey Cake
"Food Allergy Cookbook" by Lucinda Bruce-Gardyne
14 TBS. rice flour
7 TBS. cornstarch
1/3 cup ground almonds
2 tsp. gluten-free baking powder
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 cup dairy-free butter
6 TBS dark brown sugar
2 TBS maple syrup or agave
1 orange, finely grated zest
5 ripe bananas, mashed with a fork
1/2 cup golden raisins
dairy-free milk, as needed
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F/gas mark 3. Grease a 9 by 5-inch loaf pan and line it with oiled waxed paper.
2. Stir the flour, baking powder, and cinnamon into a bowl.
3. Add the butter, brown sugar, syrup, and orange zest to the dry ingredients and whisk together until the mixture is smooth.
4. Fold in the mashed bananas and golden raisins. The mixture should be soft enough to fall slowly from a spoon. If the mixture is too firm, stir in 1 TBS milk.
5. Spoon into the prepared pan, level with the back of a spoon, and bake for 45-60 minutes, until springy in the center. Insert a skewer into the center-if it comes out clean the cake is ready.
6. Leave to set for 5 minutes in the pan, then run a knife around the cake to loosen it; turn it out onto a wire rack to cool completely. The cake can be stored for up to 3 days in an airtight container or wrapped well in plastic wrap and frozen.