Butternut Pecan Scones
(Left: Butternut Pecan Scones, Center: Banana Chocolate Chip Bread)
www.glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com by Karina Allrich
1 cup sorghum flour or brown rice flour
1/2 cup almond flour
2/3 cup tapioca starch
1/3 cup organic light brown sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp fine sea salt
1 tsp xanthan gum
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
3/4 cup organic butternut squash puree
1 egg replacement from Ener-G Egg Replacement powder
2 TBS coconut oil or vegan butter
2 tsp bourbon vanilla
1 tsp lemon juice
2/3 cup chopped pecans
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment.
2. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
3. Add in the wet ingredients and mix just until the scone dough is workable. Scoop out the dough and plop it onto the center of your prepared cookie sheet. Using wet palms, smooth and flatten the dough into an 8-9 inch circle. Use a small silicone spatula to smooth the outside edges.
4. Add extra chopped nuts, if desired. Press in slightly. Brush the top with a little coconut milk or rice milk. Sprinkle with organic raw sugar (this makes a lovely crusty top).
5. Score the dough into eight wedges, using a sharp knife. Cut through and slice the dough down to the bottom. Use the silicone spatula to wiggle some space between each wedge.
6. Bake in the center of the preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes or so, depending upon your oven. Bake until the scones are golden and firm. Serve warm with vegan butter- and apricot jam, if desired.